Brewing Oolong Tea (the Kung Fu-style)
The best way to brew Oolongs is the Kung Fu method which requires the proper tea accessories. The following directions are given for this method of infusing your Oolong.
General measurements and directions:
- - about 6 g of tea (2.5-3 teaspoons for most Oolongs)
- - 100 ml of hot water (for most Oolongs around 85°C )
- - 10 to 50 seconds infusion time
- 1. Put measured leaves into a pot (ideally an Yixing teapot or gaiwan cup, but you can use any small teapot).
- 2. Bring the water to a boil and cool to 85°C (please refer to our general brewing guide).
- 3. Pour a small amount of water to cover the leaves into the teapot and pour out immediately (to wash the tea, some exceptions apply).
- 4. Fill the teapot and steep for 10-50 seconds, depending on the tea.
- 5. Pour tea completely out of the pot into cups.
Oolong teas are multiply infused, giving mostly 4 to 8 infusions. Now that you know what to do, just repeat steps 4 and 5 (increase steeping time for later infusions).